Book Review - Fire Fall by Bethany Frenette

Fire Fall
Author: Bethany Frenette
Series: Dark Star #3
Genres: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy | Young Adult
Release date: 6th January 2015
Publishers: Disney-Hyperion
Source: Purchased
Rating:
Audrey Whitticomb wants to be a Guardian like her superhero mom, Morning Star, and her superhot boyfriend, Leon. But at seventeen, Audrey still hasn't been called - unlike reluctant Tink, who'd rather not deal with all those scaly-skinned, red-eyed demons.

The truth? Audrey can no longer fight her fate. She has a different role to play.

The Beneath is waking.
Demons are rising.
Friends are falling.
And the future is waiting.

Will Audrey stop the Harrowing in time to save the Kin? Or will she save her best friend, Gideon, from certain death? Can Audrey find the power and the courage to act before it's too late?
ADD TO GOODREADS

There have been only a handful of series I was pained to complete. The most well known in recent history was Skulduggery Pleasant, which resulted in an entire post sharing the stages of saying goodbye to series, and once again, I find myself going through those stages with Dark Star - heartbreak, obsession, admission and guilt have all passed me by, and now, with Fire Fall, I can remember what it was that drew me into this fabulous world with wonderful characters, relationships that just mean so much and a plot that, though short, was amazing. I could not be happier with how Frenette ended this series, and I'm so going to miss it.

One of the most wonderful things about this entire series has been it's characters, and Fire Fall made having to say goodbye to these characters almost worth it through it's relationships, growth, development and oh so realistic emotions. These characters, they are people you know, they are friends and family, they have so much depth, so many different layers, they have mood swings and have arguments and have flour fights and fall asleep in their cereal and you cannot help but love them all the same. The relationships that Frenette has written in this series are just beautiful, and I'll say what I said in Dark Star, and in Burn Bright - Audrey and Lucy's Mother/Daughter relationship is the most beautiful, the most fabulous, the most hilarious, most relatable and most in-depth relationship I have ever read, and that is not a statement I make lightly. They look out for one another, care so passionately for one another, leave notes on the fridge to remind each other to eat, share romantic struggles and hurdles and know how to have a right giggle, and yet, throughout it all, Lucy is the best mother, whether she's running around saving the world, or having double-date nights with her daughter - she is the mother whom, if I didn't already have a fabulous one myself, I'd be adopting her.

Audrey also has the best relationships with her friends, Tink and Gideon. Sure, Audrey made a few (pretty major) mistakes in Fire Fall, but I could 100% relate to the decisions she made and why. Could you really murder one of your best friends for a chance at saving the world? I can't be so sure, and that's what made Audrey's complicated relationships and her love for them so real. her loyalty and protectiveness over Gideon was beautiful, and her friendship with Tink was jut fabulous. Everybody needs a sassy best friend who shows you up in all black, flirts with all the boys and kicks ass in a shocking pair of heels, and I've got to say, alongside Audrey, Tink has some of the best development throughout Dark Star - from zero to hero, Tink rocked her scenes and showed herself to be one of the best characters in this novel, and I love her so dearly. It's physically impossible to not mention Leon and Audrey's relationship either - and sure, they had their struggles, and those too have been realistic and their development and background so painful, especially finally getting some more on Leon and his parents and - just let me hold you Leon, but there romance is just so damn adorable and so damn sexy and hotttttttt and there's nothing I love more than those two cherubs smushing their faces into each other. Their passion, their protectiveness, their care and attentiveness, their trust and their overwhelming desire to be there for each other is so absolutely one of the best things in this series, and they could very well by my favourite romance of all time. That's right, of all time people, beat that!

It was so wonderful to finally see the plots of Dark Star and Burn Bright come together in Fire Fall too. Each novel felt as though it developed and created two halves of a story, and Fire Fall brought these two halves together and smashed my expectations out of the water. The creep factor went up ten-fold, the paranormal aspects where just as awesome has they have been previously, and impressively, the world building in this book went up a notch too - something the series has previously struggled with before. The action, the dramatic nature of the scenes, the slow development and reveal of all things horrifying and super duper amazing - I don't think I've cried as passionately as I did when I finished Fire Fall, both for it's heart-breaking ending and actually finally saying goodbye, there's literally nothing about this novel I could fault, and that makes me insanely proud.

This series is without a doubt one of my all-time favourites. Urban Fantasy is a genre so overwhelmed by Cassandra Clare and other demon-related series, but Dark Star is a diamond in the rough, and man, I wish more people knew about it's sheer brilliance. With characters that are so real and so easy to love, with a world and premise that just sounds awesome and is executed brilliantly, and relationships that just melt your heart and make your howl with laughter - how can you not want to read this series? Fire Fall is definitely a tough novel to get your hands and is only available limitedly in ebook, but please, do not let this put you off trying a fabulous series. I could not recommend this series more - it's fabulous, it's amazing, it's a paranormal lovers dream come true, and it's absolutely, 100%, perfect for you.

0 Komentar untuk "Book Review - Fire Fall by Bethany Frenette"

Back To Top