Do You Spend More Time Reading, or Blogging?

When I first embarked on my blogging journey, I never for one moment consider just how much time, effort, dedication and general energy it would require, and I know for a fact I'm not the only person who learnt this lesson the hard way. Now, 2 years later and a change of direction under my belt, I can see how, as a book blogger, the actual blogging aspect sometimes took up a lot more of my time than the actual reading did. Crazy right? This new look from outside the box really became evident when putting together my June Community Wrap-Up collection; there were plenty of book bloggers featured in the collection, and yet so so many of them had written posts on blogging rather than books. It got me thinking:


Here's a task for you book bloggers: take a look through your own blog, and have a good long scroll. If you took away all your reviews and were left with the rest of your content, what would you have more of: book related posts, or blogging? There's an big chance you actually blog more about blogging than you think.

It's really to be expected when you consider what it is you actually do. Sure, you might read a book or two a day, and that's impressive, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, but while you might spend 2-3 hours reading, how much time do you spend brain-storming ideas, thinking about your blog and the content you want to put out there. How much time do you dedicate to maintaining your blog, how it functions, it's design, replying to comments, staying social and being in the know, even visiting other bloggers; they're all blogging related actions, and you don't even know you're doing it.

Earlier this year, I gave myself the task of not doing anything book or blog related for 24 hours, and as tough as that sounds, I succeeded, and the results where not only eye-opening, but proved that I spent more time thinking about blogging than I did reading, and how much the time of day made a different too.


During the challenge, I noted that I only actually got the urge to read 20 times during the whole 24 hour period, yet, in contrast, I wanted to and thought about blogging a total of 224 times. Sure, I thought about specific books and had other books on my mind around 60 times during the day, but blogging was constantly at the forefront of my mind, whether that was through wanting to write posts, edit posts, check on my blog, find inspiration, or cover general maintenance. The worst part of the experience wasn't that I didn't have my books, or that I hadn't read anything, but that I had abandoned my blog and the duties that came with it.

As a book blogger, it's easy to believe that you think about books, deal with books, read more and do more book related things than you do blogging, but the truth is, you more than likely don't. It's ironic to think that as book bloggers, you pride yourself on being all about books, when really, you're a blogger, just like the rest of us, and no matter your love for them, your time is spent on blogging a lot more.

What do you spend more time on: reading or blogging?

0 Komentar untuk "Do You Spend More Time Reading, or Blogging?"

Back To Top